Saturday, September 3, 2011

Rambling on a Saturday afternoon: Canada vs USA: Things I love edition

For those of you who don't know, I was born and raised in Ontario, Canada, close to Ottawa (shame on you if you've never heard of the nation's capitol!). I came to Texas, close to Dallas, 8 1/2 years ago. I have not been back to visit yet but am planning to do it either in the spring or summer of 2012. That got me thinking: What do I miss about Canada and what would I miss about Texas?

I miss the fall colors of Canada so much. There is nothing like driving down the highway and everywhere you look it's red, gold and orange. There are 2 colors in Texas, green and brown. I mean, seriously, look at how beautiful that picture is. I took it in the fall of 2002.

I miss the healthcare system likely more than anything else. When my kids were small I could take them to the doctor anytime and not worry about how much money I had in my pocket. My son was born 5 weeks early and had to spend his first 8 days in CHEO (Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario) and it didn't cost anything out of pocket. I spent so much time at CHEO from the time was born until he had ear surgery when he was 2 that they knew the sound of my voice on the phone, no cost out of pocket. My daughter had bronchial pneumonia 4 times before the age of  5, no cost out of pocket. I miss my doctor sooo much. Sigh.

I miss Tim Hortons. Trust me, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts...none of them have anything on Tim Hortons.
I miss spring feeling like spring. In Canada, Spring is a time for renewal, fresh starts. It smells like spring. The snow melting and the new grass growing.....it's wonderful. In Texas, you have warm, warmer, hot, holy frig it's hot here, hot, warmer and warm. Mind you, that's also something I like about Texas.

I do not miss the snow in Canada, not even a little bit. Ok, maybe a light snow on Christmas Eve, but that's completely it. I hate snow. I hate how cold it is. I hate how wet it is. I hate how it gets slushy and dirty...yuck. I love that in Texas, on Thanksgiving, when I put up my Christmas lights, I can do it in shorts and at Christmas the biggest sweater I might need is a light hoodie.

I love the TexMex food in Texas. In Canada the only thing close to Mexican food was Taco Bell, and face it, that's not really Mexican food. Don't get me wrong, I like Taco Bell, but still. TexMex food in a mom and pop restaurant.....(mouth watering).

I love that I can drive down the highway in mid April and see Bluebonnets, Indian Paintbrush, Evening Primrose and Clover all over the place. Fields of color is fantastic.

I love MY Texas Rangers!! I love that I can go to a major league baseball game and feel like I'm sitting almost on the field. I love going to the games. I love watching the games on tv. I LOVE MY TEXAS RANGERS!!

I can coupon in Texas. Not the Extreme Couponing you see on tv, but when I have my mind set in the right place I can save my family a lot of money. They don't have coupons available like that in Canada. So I would certainly miss that .... a lot.

The history and places in Texas are awesome! I've been to San Antonio and love it there. Galveston is great too and I want to go back there so badly...sigh...maybe next year. South Padre Island is a dream destination for me too. Ok, I could still go to all these places no matter where I live, but they are closer to me this way.

Overall I love both places but right now my heart belongs to Texas because my wonderful hubby is here (why else do you think I would end up in Texas??). 2 out of my 3 kids will always be here in Texas, with me (my oldest son misses the snow and the cold and will likely either go back or move up North at some point) and will make their lives here.
Now, if Texas could just get a Tim Hortons.......


No comments:

Post a Comment