Friday, February 24, 2012

Dry eyes and Granny glasses

You know the commercials on tv that talk about dry eyes and how your eyes can't make enough tears? Well, for some reason, and I'm honestly not sure why, I've made fun of those for a long time. Looks like karma's a bugger! I went to the eye doctor for the first time in about 15 years because my eyes hurt all the time and I had trouble focusing after crocheting or doing something close up. And, you guessed it, I have dry eyes. All this time I thought it was allergies. I've been taking allergy medications for years now thinking I had seasonal allergies (all year long), not going on my computer as much in the past 6 months because it just hurt my eyes too much (must be my eyes getting bad, right?) and all this time I had dry eyes.
Not only do I have dry eyes but I need bifocals. Bifocals!?! But I'm 43 years old, I'm not an old lady, am I? Only old people need bifocals...right? Well, I guess after the age of 40 (don't you love how everything really starts falling apart at 40?) the muscles in your eyes start to relax and if you are doing something up close it's harder for the eye muscles to refocus. So, she told me, I won't need glasses for driving but for home I will.
So she gave me my glasses prescription and wrote down something that would be good for my dry eyes and off I went. I ordered my glasses online (no, I can't even pay full price for glasses. I found a discount website, let's just hope they look alright and I can see out of them alright) and I went to CVS and bought Refresh Liquigel drops. Who knew that simple eye drops would change my life??
Ok, have you ever seen the episode of friends where Rachel needs eyes drops and they all have to tackle her to put the drops in her eyes? Well, I'm not too far off from that. My daughter has to hold my eye open and plop the drops in while I try to close my eye and whine the whole time (don't judge me!). And with the very first drops that went into my eyes it's a different world. I can actually go on the computer without feeling like my eye balls are going to fall out. My eyes aren't burning and itchy anymore. I don't feel like I need to nap all the time because my eyes hurt and are tired feeling. I'm absolutely amazed something this simple is the 'cure' to my eyes. I'm amazed.
So, the moral of the story is, I should make fun of people winning the lottery and maybe I'll win it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment